NJ's Expert Residential, Commercial, & Industrial Painting Service
Top Rated Local® Interior & Exterior Painting Service
A Step-by-Step Guide to Painting Your House
July 2, 2018
You have always taken home improvements into your own hands. Not only does all that DIY work save your family hard-earned money, but you actually enjoy tackling such projects.
It could be that you recently decided to paint the house for the first time ever. Sure, others might discourage you, saying it’s a daunting task. Here are 10 steps to take to ensure the paint job looks incredible:
- Test for lead paint – Keep in mind that it wasn’t until 1978 that lead paint was banned for residential use. So, if your home was built before then, it’s a good idea to protect yourself and others from airborne lead particles. You should be able to find a kit online or at your local hardware store for about $10. If the test proves positive for lead, then we recommend taking precautionary measures such as wearing masks and disposing of hazardous materials at an approved site.
- Wash the exterior – Little known fact: mildew thrives under fresh paint. That said, wash the exterior before even opening up cans of paint. A mix of water and some sort of phosphate-free cleanser should do the trick. Rather than apply the solution by hand with a sponge, your best bet is to hire a pressure washing professional. The last thing you want is to damage the siding by pushing water under boards.
- Scrape off loose paint – Now is the time to remove any loose, flaking paint. In terms of deciding which tool to use, you have several options. Frankly, you will probably get the best results using a handheld scraper. Don’t have one? Then try using a hot-air gun or infrared paint stripper.
- Repair the wood siding – Get ready to smooth out any remaining rough spots. Once you’re done with that, look around the exterior for holes, dings, and chips. Most of these can be fixed using a patching putty or compound. Notice a major rot problem? Then you will need to get in touch with a carpenter before proceeding to the next step.
- Apply primer – Homeowners often make the mistake of choosing the wrong primer for their exterior. To ensure an even base for topcoats to adhere to, we advise using a white, gray, or tinted product. Painting over bare wood or existing latex paint? Then feel free to opt for a latex primer.
- Caulk all joints – Some polyurethane caulks come with 35-year warranties, while others have a 55-year warranty attached to them. Save yourself a headache and purchase the slightly more expensive caulk for longer-lasting results. It’s important to know that the average house requires about seven tubes of caulk.
- Choose the right paint – Not all paint is the same. But what should your choice be between latex and oil-based paints? Well, latex paint applies easily, dries quickly, and cleans up with soap and water. An oil-based paint, on the other hand, is much more durable than latex. Quick piece of advice regarding finishes: the higher the sheen, the better the paint is at blocking the sun’s damaging rays.
- Apply top coats – You might be tempted to apply layers upon layers during this step. However, more layers can actually lead to paint flaking off through the years. The less paint you apply, the easier it will bond to the layers beneath. It’s as simple as that.
New Jersey’s Trusted Residential Painter
As you can see, DIY residential painting projects can become quite the ordeal. We understand you might enjoy taking on these home improvement projects and saving a few bucks. What many homeowners don’t realize, though, is that one mistake could cost you hundreds of dollars and hours of valuable time.
It’s why we recommend getting in touch with a reliable painting service. DJ’s Painting has been a New Jersey staple for more than three decades. Our painting company is proud to provide a level of expertise and service that has never existed in the industry before.
Why spend hours trying to find a seasoned house painter? Thanks to DJ’s, your home will look like it did the day you moved in!
See what our residential painter in New Jersey can do for you and your family. Contact the staff at DJ’s Painting today to request an estimate.
DJ's Painting can offer your facility more than just industrial painting. DJ's Painting can offer systems that will keep hot surfaces cool to the touch, saving energy costs for your business. Contact DJ's Painting today to find out about this system and other options like floor coatings to have your facility running and looking its best.
We are certified applicators of the concrete protector floor coating systems known as the Perma-flex system. We also work with several other manufacturers of standard high-quality epoxy and urethane floor coatings and stains. Whether you need garage door coatings or coated shop floors, we have what you need.
DJ's Painting has been South Jersey's home painter since 1986. Having painted thousands of homes in New Jersey including log cabin staining, DJ's Painting is the only choice when you want your home to look brand new again. We have the experience needed to get the job done right on every house painting project.